Monday, April 26, 2010

Loop de Loop

I found out today I was looping with my class from 3rd to 4th. My immediate thought was to think about Daily Five and CAFE and how wonderful it will be to continue with the same kids next year. My RECIPE (pensive) book with come with me and we can pick up right where we left off.  I will be able to hold my kids accountable for what I know I taught and the goals the children showed me they achieved in third grade. Right??? 

Of course on the other side I am apprehensive about implementing Daily Five and CAFE into third grade. Does it work as well in fourth grade? Are there new strategies to add to the CAFE board? Will my kids be bored with Daily Five? I hope the excitement won't wear off. 

So to all my "followers" out there... I am asking for you to comment with your thoughts... 

2 comments:

  1. I teach a split grade 3/4 - and the CAFE menu is totally appropriate for grade 4s. I would start off the same way by reviewing the strategies (You can even keep the ones up from this year??) just like normal. I think you'll find that they'll go through them quicker.

    This will give you ample teaching time to visit some of them DEEPER and maybe getting to more of the high-order thinking ones that you might not have this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you funkylindsay! I appreciate your thoughts. I am planning on taking down the strategies but keeping them in an envelope off to the side, so I can go back to them, as I re-introduce each one. Also, my kids wrote the cards and then their name, if it was their individual goal. I would like to give that opportunity to another child if it is their goal in 4th grade. I would like to start fresh so I don't "assume" they know them. A lot happens over the summer :-) I would love to hear how you make the strategies "deeper" for 4th. Are you a member on proteacher? The Peony room has great Daily 5 discussions.

    ReplyDelete