Friday, December 18, 2009

The moans finally came...

Being a Daily 5 devotee I am always reading online about other teachers experiences. Many times I have come across those stories that I am so jealous and envious of. These are the stories of children asking for more Daily 5 time or making comments about how sad they are when the Daily 5 session comes to an end. Well, I haven't had this experience and was starting to wonder, do my kids really love Daily 5? Am I doing something wrong here?  Don't we all need a little reassurance here and there??? Or is it just me??? 

Well today it finally happened! Due to scheduling changes we weren't going to have time for all 3 rounds of Daily 5. In reality only one round was going to take place. So I told the class this and I hear, "Oh no!". I ask the young boy what was wrong and he said, "I love daily 5 and I don't want to not have it today!" I was so happy to hear this!!!!!!!!! I knew this was the case for many, if not all my kids, but hearing this out loud was music to my ears! 

Another great story is when I had a parent teacher conference and the child attended. When the conference was coming to a close, the young boy said, "Wait dad, before we leave can I show you Daily 5?" He then preceded to go over to the CAFE board, explain the strategies, and do the modeling for Read to Self. It was so adorable! 

With the school coming to its half way mark, as I said in my last post it is time to reflect. This year has been nothing short of amazing. I am loving everyday of teaching (this doesn't mean there aren't days I want to crawl back into bed) and so impressed with my students. Both Daily Math and Daily 5 have made a tremendous difference in my teaching. I can truly say with certainty that I am meeting each child's individual needs.  I am conferencing more than I ever have in the past and the children are being encouraged to make good educational choices for themselves. I am anticipating a successful second half of the school year and know I will continue to enjoy watching my students grow as students. 



No comments:

Post a Comment