Thursday, September 24, 2009

Choice!

We did it! We made it through our first day with choice. My kids made me so proud when I looked out at the class and they were all on task and engaged in their work. I was SO amazed by how smoothly it ran.

I started off with a mini lesson on checking in. I explained that they could choose between Read to Self, Read to Someone, and Work on Writing. The kids were told they had to do Read to Self for at least one round. Before hearing their choices, I anticipated that they would all jump at the opportunity to read to someone. Boy was I wrong! Only 8 children chose read to someone, which oddly enough was the limit. Perfect!

I was so impressed by my children and how they individually made decisions for what they wanted to work on. I talked with them about choice and how it is a wonderful responsibility and privilege to have. I spoke about me knowing how to help them as readers, but they are the only ones who know how their brain and body feel at the moment. While talking about knowing themselves so well, we talked about how to make choices wisely. I explained that some of us might want to do read to self first. These particular children may know that they have the greatest stamina during the first round. While other children might choose Work on Writing first. They may be in the middle of writing a story and know they won’t be able to concentrate on reading, while having their writing on their mind. I continued to give examples like these. I didn’t use a book for this lesson, but looking back I think a great book might be “Too Many Toys”.

Before sending the boys and girls off to start their first round of Daily Five, I taught them how to choose a partner. I loved hearing my kids say, “Would you like to be my partner?” and “Sure. Thank you!” We modeled the correct and incorrect way to choose a partner and then they were off!

As I said we did three rounds. I didn’t do any CAFÉ mini-lessons instead I did check-ins each round, and talked about how the kids felt. During check in some kids chose the same choice, while others switched up their choices. After each check in we modeled partner choosing. I honestly don’t think I could have planned our first day of choice to of gone any better!

Next week, I will introduce word work and listen to reading. For word work we are doing Words their Way. Each day the kids will choose from a list of sorts that they have already learned how to do in the past 2 weeks. Together we will model the correct and incorrect behavior for each sort. As of now I may introduce task cards, but no other materials. My goal is to provide the kids with activities that they can do in or out of the classroom. Another activity I may introduce is http://www.spellingcity.com. If you have not ever used this website, check it out! It is wonderful!!!!! This will depend on the availability of laptops. For Listen to Reading I will be using the Raz Kids website. I’ve never used this website, but I subscribed because I’ve heard great things!

On another note, my kids are having difficulty coming back to carpet after each round. Today I started the chapter book “The Secret Garden”. While the kids were putting away their supplies and coming back to the carpet I read a chapter of the book. I found that many of my children were motivated to come to the carpet quicker because they didn’t want to miss the story. Also, I felt more at ease because I wasn’t waiting for anyone. If they missed a page so be it, at least the other kids weren’t getting off task while waiting, and I was using our time effectively.

I’m looking forward to Day 2 of choice tomorrow! I hope to get everything up and running in the next 2 weeks. Only time will tell, I don’t want to rush it! I’ve learned that modeling and moving slowly really makes a difference.

Words of advice:

Try reading a chapter of a book, short story, poem, joke, riddle, or picture book, while transitioning from one round to the next. If the literature is really engaging the kids won’t want to miss it!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment